Pelican Apex 100 Kayak Review
The Pelican Apex 100 kayak is the newest member of the Pelican fleet. It is very similar to the Apex 116, but as the title suggests it is a bit smaller.
The Apex 100 kayak is super easy to maneuver around in tight areas, or out in open waters. The design is perfect for beginner paddlers to try their hand at kayaking but it is also well managed by the more seasoned paddler.
The Apex 100 kayak may be small for its size coming in at 10-feet. But there is more than enough room to provide you with the comfort you want and need for all day adventures.
Our Review of the Pelican Apex 100 Kayak
Enough storage space for gear.
Self-bailing and comfortable.
Durable and strong hard plastic material.
THINGS WE LIKED
- Plenty of storage space.
- Full range of motion.
- Molded-in footrests.
- Molded-in cup holder.
THINGS WE DID NOT LIKE
- A bit heavy.
- Poorly designed seat; might require a separate seat for comfort.
Features of Pelican Apex 100 Kayak
Besides the molded-in cup holder, the Apex 100 kayak comes with elastic bungee cords in the stern allowing you to store items.
It also comes with bow and stern handles for you to easily transport the kayak to and from the water without having to drag it behind you.
Let’s discuss the features in details.
The Apex 100 is constructed for RAM-X which is a hard plastic that is durable and strong. The hull can take a beating and keep on going with minimal damage to show for it.
Tracking and Stability
The Apex 100 is one of the best kayaks for beginners and, you won’t have any troubles with tipping due to the width of the kayak being 30-inches.
The twin-arched “V” hull makes paddling a breeze and provides you with the stability you need when entering or exiting the kayak.
The weight capacity of the Apex 100 is 250 pounds. That is more than enough to load up a few things for a long day. But the Apex 100 weighs 43-pounds which could be a lot to carry for just one person.
One thing that the Apex 100 is lacking is the comfort zone. The Apex does provide a padded backrest, but there is nothing to cushion your rear-end.
This will cause problems if you are out for extended periods of time as the lack of circulation to your legs may cause them to go numb.
Even though the seat is adjustable and comfortable for a couple of hours, it doesn’t do so well for an all day excursion.
Plus the seat is molded-in and only a backrest is provided, so you might want to get a more comfortable seat before going out on long weekend trips that require you to be out more than 2 hours.
The fact that the Apex 100 is a sit-on-top kayak really adds to the space and storage capacity. You can really add a lot of gear onto the deck of this kayak and still be able to move and turn around.
One of the great things about the Apex 100 is that it has molded-in footrests so you don’t have to worry about adjusting them to fit your needs. Just move your legs to the desired location and keep on paddling.
Or, stretch out and get some sun without having to worry about losing a peg. Plus it is self-bailing which makes it really easy to get out the excess water while paddling or when it gets a bit windy.
The Apex 100 kayak is a nifty little kayak for those who like to just get away for a few hours. If you really want to go the distance though or if you are looking for a kayak to go fishing in, you might want to check out the Pelican Premium Apex 100 Angler.
The Apex 100 Angler comes with 2 vertical rod holders. Plus it has the padded cushion for comfort and a bit more storage space for your tackle and gear.
Both the Apex 100 and the Premium Apex Angler 100 are great little kayaks that will cut through the water with ease. Both provide the stability you are looking for and the durability to last for years to come.
- Comfortable for Anyone: Kayak Includes an Adjustable Inflatable Seat With Backrest; Cockpit Designed for Comfort and...
- Dimensions: Inflated Size 10 Feet 3 X 3 Feet X 1 Feet 8 Inch; Maximum Weight Capacity: 400 Pounds
- Directional Stability: Removable SKEG for Directional Stability
- The Intex Challenger K2 Kayak is sporty and fun with a streamlined design for easy paddling
- The bright green color and sporty graphics make the kayak highly visible in the water
- Two 86 inch aluminum paddles and an Intex high output pump for easy inflation and deflation
- Built using our Twin Arched Multi Chine Hull these kayaks provide excellent stability and combined with our spacious...
- At only 36 lb the ARGO 100X is incredibly easy to transport
- The ARGO 100X also includes upgraded features geared to making your experience comfortable with inclusions like...
- Adjustable padded seat back and seat pad for comfort
- St performance hull for tracking and stability - 275 lb. Weight capacity
- Front and rear shock cord straps to secure loose items
- Lightweight and easy to carry with Front and Rear T-Handles for Easy Transport this Sit-In kayak has a maximum capacity...
- Includes a Storage hatch with bungee cord and a Storage Platform with a Mesh Deck Cover to store all your gear for your...
- The Shallow V Chine hull Design provides good stability and maneuverability while providing very good performance.Do not...
Last update on 2021-01-17 at 19:06 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API