Hobie Mirage Outfitter Tandem Kayak Review
The Hobie Mirage Outfitter Tandem Kayak is the perfect kayak for couples and families.
The stability and maneuverability really make the Outfitter the best kayak for two person whether out on the lake, pond or river.
Hobie designed the Outfitter to be accessible through leg power known as the Mirage Drive allowing the kayaker to paddle the kayak out instead of paddling.
Although, paddling is an option that allows for a full body workout.
The Outfitter isn't technically a fishing kayak, with as much storage space as this kayak offers, one certainly can bring along a pole and some tackle and hit the lake for lazy day fishing.
Our Review of the Hobie Outfitter Kayak
Stability and paddling type kayak.
Twist and slow rudder, two person.
Pricey but one of the best rated 2-person kayak.
THINGS WE LIKED
- The Hobie Outfitter is stable and dependable making it an awesome choice for the day out on the water.
- It comes with paddles and a peddling system for the kayaker to pick how they want to move about and includes the option for a sailing kit to be installed.
- The Outfitter kayak comes with a twist and stow rudder system that makes steering easy when kayakers utilize their leg power or easily stashed away when paddling.
- This two-person kayak comes in five different colors of Olive, Golden Papaya, Red Hibiscus, Ivory Dune, or Caribbean Blue.
THINGS WE DID NOT LIKE
- One thing about the Outfitter is the weight. It comes in at 121.5 pounds and is a bit heavy for a single paddler to carry alone so a kayak cart is recommended when transporting to the water or to the vehicle.
- The length is a bit overwhelming when it comes to storing and transporting.
- When considering this kayak it is important to know that it will not fit in the back of an SUV and should be transported on top of the vehicle so a kayak rack is recommended.
Features of Hobie Outfitter Tandem Kayak
One of the amazing features of the Outfitter is that there is plenty of storage space for this sit-on-top kayak.
The Outfitter is equipped with three 8" storage hatches.
It also comes with a cargo area with bungee tie-downs for a tackle box or a small cooler.
Plus it comes with two mesh-covered stowage pockets allowing easy access to tools or gear instead of storing them in a backpack or hatches.
Let's discuss the features in details.
Hobie creates their kayaks out of rotomolded polyethylene which is long lasting and durable. Polyethylene is a hard plastic that is hard to crack and reliable when bumping into debris or pulling it up to the shoreline.
This kayak has a wide hull with the bow of the kayak "V" shaped allowing for it to slice through the water effortlessly then tapers off to a flat bottom giving the Outfitter stability and sturdiness needed for wakes of small crafts or currents.
Tracking and Stability
The wide hull of 34 inches makes tracking a bit difficult in high winds or currents. However, with the help of the rudder, it is very easy to stay on course when peddling out.
The Outfitter is very stable and secure even when peddling, it doesn't give the impression of tipping or wobbling as some foot powered kayaks do. Making this kayak difficult to flip and is perfect for beginners and experienced kayakers alike.
The Outfitter is 12.8- feet long and designed for two paddlers. It can hold up to 425-pounds which
When it comes to comfort, the Hobie Outfitter tandem kayak has very comfortable padded seats that can be adjusted to three different heights to suit the paddlers need.
It can recline for ultimate comfort while bird watching or waiting for the fish to bite.
But what is a good seat without having a built-in drink holder and easy access to a utility tray, all which is standard with the Hobie Outfitter kayak?
The Outfitter is a perfect tandem kayak that is easy to maneuver and control either by a single person or as a team.
There is more than enough space for gear and other items including a third person or small animal. When it comes to comfort, Hobie listens and provides a product that makes adventures fun.
Since the Outfitter is a foot powered kayak, it is difficult to get tired, a paddler can easily switch from legs to arms and back again which allows for more time exploring and water fun.